Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wave to the invisible baby...

Caleb totally made my week. For those of you who don't know Caleb (which would be everyone except for me, I do believe), he is the cutest, most enjoyable 17-month-old I have ever been a Nanny for! This week, whenever I am sitting on the floor playing with him, he would come up to me, poke my belly with one little finger, gently lay his head on it in a hug, and then wave to it, with the cutest hand-flopping baby wave ever!
I have told him many times that "there is a baby in there" - but while Caleb knows that something is up, I doubt he realizes what truly is inside, as well as the fact that that something is going to be taking me away from him and plopping him into daycare next fall...
Anyway, Caleb waving to the baby in my belly (waving to a concept, really) has made my week - and makes me smile every time he does it. And while I am truly excited to have a baby of my own (minus the ten bucks an hour...bummer!), I will miss hanging out with Caleb - eating yogurt while sitting on the kitchen floor, tickling him until he can't laugh anymore, chasing him through the apartment while he runs away on chubby feet, digging him out of the kitty litter, telling him "no" every five minutes when he asks for "joooooooose????" (translation: juice) and so on. I have been caring for him since he was 3 months old...and it seems strange that in May, that will be over. I guess it's time to grow up and be the mom myself (although I am pretty sure I am just a kid myself...o well. We'll figure it out).

On another note, this week I have had three random people ask me when I am due - which hasn't happened before (kind of strange, since it has been pretty obvious for a couple of months now). A friend of mine keeps telling me to say that I'm not actually pregnant. :) I may have to try that....
Also, shopping for a stroller is like shopping for a car. I am so done with this. Everyone has an opinion and they are all different (like belly-buttons - everyone has one and they serve no purpose). How am I supposed to find the best stroller??? Where's that gut feeling I'm supposed to have? How come having a baby is so hard and why do they have to have so much stuff??? I mean, I don't even have my own transportation vehicle! Babies are spoiled. Seriously, I should have just done the tupperware-under-the-bed thing. No crib necessary. Maybe we should just get a radio flyer wagon and pull baby around in that.

We are doing cloth diapers, though we still have to figure out how and all that it involves....I think I'm getting a little electricity free, counter-top washing device, since we don't have laundry in our building and we really like where we are living right now (veto moving). Also, Eric wants to live in a house with a bunch of other people and have intentional Christian community.

Bottom line: I think we are turning into hippies. I guess that's cool. I mean, I always wanted to be a hippy artist. Just livin' the dream.

2 comments:

  1. okay, in regard to the stroller thing: just pick one. I spent hours reading up on them, but really, in the end, find one that has decent reviews and go with it. You're not married to it...you're just stuck with it for the next couple years. And it's not going to scar your child for life. I promise. And way to go going cloth! I chickened at the end. Too much laundry, not enough time.

    ReplyDelete