Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bloated whale syndrome....

...in some places known as Pregnancy.

It is 62 degrees F today and it's March 16th. This has been the craziest spring ever! I think we may just have an all around early one, unless it decides to snow again in April, which could happen. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and I went on a long walk on the path with a good friend who is also semi-jobless and recently married.

As we were walking in the sunshine (I was in a T-shirt and jeans) I felt like a bloated whale just emerging from hibernation into a glorious spring. I mean, I don't have a full length mirror in my apartment or anything, so anytime we walked by a reflective window I was like "O MY GOSH, I'M HUGE!" Usually I just see my belly by looking down. And it doesn't really seem that big. But it actually is. So I'm a little self conscious. And I am walking fine, but kind of have started this little swaying walk that is definitely not a waddle (yet), but is on it's way there. And this baby seems to love popping its head onto my bladder when I am least expecting it. That's fun.

So, we are outside walking and all these people are staring at me...some giving me these "Oh, she's pregnant, how cute!" looks, and others (who are somewhat knowledgeable of my existence from being associated with North Park) are giving me these weird "WHAT happened to you????" looks that I kind of just laugh off and feel self conscious afterwards. I mean really, after a winter of a tiny baby bump and a heavy winter coat that hides everything anyway, I really fell like I am coming out the closet here!
And the boys at the basketball court definitely did NOT whistle at me when I walked by them, which was kind of strange, but I guess I kind of look like I have an enormous over-ripe mango looking fruit bloat that has become an extra appendage of sorts protruding from what used to be my entire mid-section. It goes like this: My head, neck, breast bulge, huge belly bulge, short legs, feet. If I were them, I wouldn't be so keen on whistling either, come to think of it. ;)

And then the baby decides it's fun to turn in weird ways so that its little butt is sticking out on one half of my belly leaving me with this goofy pointy-lopsided look. Not really the round look I always associated with pregnancy, but ok, whatever. At this point, I don't really care that I look ridiculous because in approx. 9 weeks, this baby will be OUT! :)

I made apple cinnamon scones this morning as well as some cranberry ones and filled our apartment with wonderful baking smells to overpower the taco-ness that still lingered in the air from last night (and thoroughly permeated the baby's room...don't ask me how that happened...).
That was kind of a mess.
There is flour and sticky dishes everywhere.
I mean, I DO know how to bake, but something went weird and it was really really gooey, but we added tons more flour and they seemed to turn out alright in the end. Now my kitchen is a disaster, but I will have to start dinner soon so I don't really want to go in there yet. As you can see, I opted for the walk instead of the cleaning. And I would still be outside right now, except that the baby and all of its accessories are getting quite heavy these days and I needed to just rest a little bit before continuing...

Laura made the comment that I will be having the baby just in time for bikini season! I am still laughing. NO FREAKIN' WAY.
Actually, no stretch marks so far (which is kind of a miracle...thanks mom for the stretchy skin!!! Let's hope it snaps back tight too!) although I do not remain too hopeful.... I think I may be skipping the bikini this summer - though I'm sure we will still be found at the beach on nice days! At least I won't be a whale in the water and will have my spring hatch-ling in tow.

That was really random. Ok, I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment