Sunday, March 21, 2010

Apple crisp - re-vamped!

I really should have taken a picture of this crisp before I ate all of it, but (blame it on baby) it's gone, so too bad - you won't get the visual pleasure of seeing it.

I have to write about it simply because it was the most delicious apple crisp I have ever eaten. No offense to Molly, I love yours, but I tried a new recipe and then added my own wonderfulness and BLAMO! Heaven in a 8x8 glass pan.

So for those interested in the wonderful world of fruit and baking and delicious sweet things, here is what I did. I used good 'ol Betty Crocker's Apple crisp recipe for the topping (with a little less brown sugar then is called for, since I don't like this dessert super sweet). Then, I put the sliced apples in the pan and sprinkled a handful of raspberries and blueberries on top (I happened to have a bag of garden berries still in my freezer from my mother-in-law's last summer garden). I happened to have a huge bag of limes on my kitchen table left over from our big taco party last week, so after consulting Eric (he happens to have a big say when it comes to altering any of his favorite desserts!), I used our handy dandy Mexican lime squeezer thingy and squeezed a whole lime over the fruit. Then I put on the topping, pressed it down, and baked it in the oven.

Let me tell you...it was incredible. The baby was really hungry last night, so I fed it half the pan. Eric ate a little piece too. Then the baby was really hungry again this morning, so I fed it another quarter of the pan. And it was happy...for a while. And then it got hungry again.... Yeah, ok, so I have a hungry baby...and no more apple crisp... So be it.

Ok, confession. My cravings for sweet wonderful deliciousness has returned with a vengeance. We (Eric, baby, and yes, me...) consumed a batch of fresh scones, an entire pan of brownies and an entire pan of apple crisp in three consecutive days... And then I go in for an appointment with the Midwives and feign shock and surprise when I find that I have gained 2 pounds in two weeks. I know. It's terrible. The funny thing, though, is all the weight is in the baby belly package, since none of it is appearing elsewhere, which is great (I can keep eating...;).

I think after 7 months of not even liking cookies and cakes and anything sweet, baby has decided to change it's eating habits. I still can't even bear the sight of chicken, but pass the cookies please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment