Friday, April 2, 2010

Egg Advice

I never knew this until today, when I looked up in my cookbook how long to boil eggs for egg salad (you would think that I would know this by now...). You know when you are eating a hard boiled egg and the yolk has a greenish ring around it? Well, that means that it is actually over-cooked! I always boil my eggs forever...not realizing that this is what overcooked them and made them rather dry and unsavory inside.

So for all interested, (especially if you still plan on doing Easter eggs before Sunday...) here is how you make hard boiled eggs that are moist in the yolk and a lovely golden yellow instead of dry and green.

Put the eggs at the bottom of the pot - only one layer, don't try to do more or they won't cook right.
Fill the pot with COLD water so that the water is an inch over the top of the eggs.
Then cover the pot and heat until boiling.
As soon as the water is boiling, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes.
After the 15 minutes, immediately run the eggs under cold water or put them in a bowl of water with ice cubes until they are completely cool.

SURPRISE!!!
My eggs turned out lovely!!! I made a delicious egg salad for lunch and ate it in a warm fresh pita with crispy lettuce and grape tomatoes. Baby has been jumping and wiggling for joy ever since. I guess it likes egg salad! Or maybe baby was just happy that I finally ate something other than the malted milk ball egg things in our Easter basket from Eric's mom! ;)

Also, we are celebrating Good Friday rather nonreligiously by cooking a rack of pork ribs, green beans, potato wedges and salad... with Angel Food cake, strawberries and whipped cream for dessert! I guess we are just happy that the Lord is alive and has given us His life to enjoy fellowship with Him forever! So bring on those baby-back ribs!

1 comment:

  1. I so wish i liked eggs, but your Good Friday menu sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete