Thursday, March 28, 2013

Baby chickens and other typical Mom stuff

Today is gloriously sunny and a balmy 47 degrees F!!! Everyone in the city have left their coats at home and are walking around in light sweaters and some in t-shirts. After a long, grey winter, today is the perfect promise and reality of spring. Last year, on the Thursday before Easter, I noticed the first signs of Lyla's soon-to-be-labor and delivery. This year, there is no baby with my DNA that we are welcoming into the world, but our family DID just grow!

Last night, Eric came home with our new "girls."


We have ten chicks, four different varieties. All for egg laying purposes (obviously). They are currently living in a tub under a heat lamp in the house (and away from the cats). Eric will build the chicken coop in the next few weeks, just in time for them to be old enough to move outside. 

Lexi got to stay up super late last night to get acquainted. She is holding Lulu.


We also have a Gloria, Marigold, and Bellatrix (which is extremely appropriate because she likes to peck at all the other chicks eyes and is constantly picking a fight). More names to come.

I am finding it rather funny (I laugh at my own jokes a lot, actually) that I am turning into this natural loving person who makes almost all our food from scratch, sews my own curtains, uses vinegar and baking soda for cleaning supplies, washes my hair with baking soda, drinks green smoothies, brews kombucha in the pantry, raises my own chickens, and am about to plant my garden for our fresh produce this summer. I do all this, while my kids eat cheerios from a box for breakfast, and munch on cheesy goldfish crackers from a box for snacks. I also love snickers bars and Netflix and store-bought clothing. And my smart phone is pretty much an extra appendage which I use 24/7. It's like pioneers in the big city with smart phones and minus the jumpers and prairie boots. 

Enough about how weird I am. 

You are probably thinking, "Hey, cool, they have chicks," while at the same time wondering what on earth happened to our pending placement of human children, D and baby DJ. The thing is, during the weekend that that were here with us, something changed at their current home, and the placement has been stopped, or at least put on hold for a while. This may or may not be in the best interest of the boys, but it is completely out of our hands. As far as I know, people at the agency have a lot of meetings to hold before we will know anything, but it is looking like the boys will not be joining our family. We are bummed, but at the same time happy for their sakes that they may not have to make yet another transition. So we are still awaiting the call telling us that we are licensed (should be any time now) and then we will hopefully be hearing about a placement soon. I am not worried. I know that when God called us into this, it was going to be done His way and all in His time. For now I am enjoying parenting my two girls and now ten chicks (haha) and am looking forward to my family's arrival from Mexico in a few weeks! They will be here in the Chicago area for the next six months, so my summer is looking extra sunny!!!! :-) The hardest time of my life was moving away from my family when I had a three year old sister at home (and now my own daughter is almost three!!). I am so looking forward to re-connecting with them in the coming months!

I mentioned a dog joining our family in a recent post. Yes, it is finally set in stone. Sami, short for Samantha, is my family's dog and will be living with us for the duration of the time my family is in the area. Unfortunately  the mission home they always stay in has a no-pets rule. So since I love to take in all the homeless members of my family, we offered to house Sami. Lexi is especially excited. I am more excited about the fact that she is already trained (there is a bit of family history with that comment...in regards to the fact that I took a dog through training school once many many years ago...and she left our family nine-months after she arrived due to having a screw loose in her brain...never the less, I was kind of scarred for life). 

But today, for the moment, the house is silent-ish while the girls sleep, the chicks peep, and I sit here in the sun with the fresh air wafting through the windows and yummy smells coming from my crock pot in the kitchen. I kind of sound like I have it all together, but don't be fooled! My floors are covered with crumbs and sticky blobs of who-knows-what, my jeans are ripped, my shirt has baby snot smeared on it and there are toys all over the floor. There is rubble in the yard, mold all over my shower curtain (I hate that) and sewing items completely covering the table. Lexi's time in time-outs today have probably totaled an hour and a half already and it's barely two o'clock (that's what we get for letting her stay up late for the chicks welcome home party), and I have changed enough poopy diapers from my eleven-month-old this morning to last me the week. Oh, and I caught one of my children (I won't say who) peeing in my lawn today for no apparent reason other than her explanation of "I wanted to go potty in the grass." I mean, ok. I guess that's fair. Maybe it's time for a privacy fence?

Just your regular mom stuff. We just like to keep it real around here. And with the lovely sun and relatively warm weather, it is going to be a great afternoon outside! 

No comments:

Post a Comment