Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snow drippings and spring thoughts

Yesterday was all snow snow snow. Ten inches later, our city world is completely covered with a fresh white blanket.
I bravely trudged through the snow covered sidewalks this morning pushing my girls in their stroller on the way to Lexi's gymnastics class. The world always seems a bit quieter on snowy mornings. Or maybe we are just hushed in awe of the all the lovely white.
Shovels are scraping against the concrete sidewalks.
And the sounds of melting snow and chattering birds are overwhelming.
The ten inches of snow seem just as determined to melt away today as they were determined to cover the earth yesterday. Dripping dripping dripping.
The perfect time to build a giant snowman, if I had a helper that was taller than 3 feet, that is. ;-)

Despite the snowy setback, spring is on it's way. There are some snow crocuses coming up in one of my vacant (or so I thought) beds, and I am beginning to make some gardening plans. Since I am a little late to start from seed and we still have to build the beds once the ground unfreezes, I may be buying some of my plants this year instead of starting them myself. Then comes the test to see if I can keep them alive....(unlikely, but it's worth a shot!).

I always love spring. I love swapping out my dreary dark winter clothing for light, bright colors and skirts with ballet flats. I love the smell of the earth and the warm sunshine on my skin. I love being outside and not needing to spend twenty minutes bundling the girls up in all their snow pants, hats, mittens that never stay on, coats, etc., only to put on my coat and turn around to find them unbundled....and do it all over again. I have really enjoyed this winter (I really have), but I am ready for the earth to be reborn again. But since we have ten inches of snow on the ground, and it's not spring yet (obviously, since I just spent the last half hour shoveling), there may just have to be a snowman in the works this afternoon. With or without the extra help. ;-)

And now, if you are still reading this, and you like reading my blog, will you do me a huge favor? If you are not a follower already, will you look on the right side of this page, scroll down to where you see the blue rectangular button that says "Join this site", and push it? It will ask you to sign in with a google or yahoo or other account (it will tell you how to make an account if you don't have one). Once you have done that, it should tell you that you are now following this blog. This is not a money-making scheme whatsoever, but will help me to know who my audience is, as well as how many people are actually interested in reading my scattered thoughts. And hopefully the result will be that I will then be more motivated to keep writing. :-)

Thank you thank you.
And happy almost spring.

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I love your description of a snowy day!
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete