Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Sure Foundation

The prospect of being a foster parent can be a bit daunting and also really frightening, since I'm being completely honest. And the fact of the matter is, once there is a child placed in our home, I can't share much with anyone because of all the confidentiality stuff. No pictures online or personal details. Stories have to be carefully guarded and no one but us and the caseworkers will ever know the background of the child. It's a lot of heavy information that we are going to have to carry somewhat alone. We do have support groups and a whole team of people working with the kids and their families, but the daily responsibility of the child is ours.

Every child coming in to the foster system has undergone some sort of trauma - be this physical abuse or neglect, or something else that has led to the child being removed from the parent by child welfare. A child dealing with trauma is going to act out in a lot of different ways, but none are cookie cutter behaviors, and you don't receive any sort of manual on how to deal with said behaviors. Also when a child is new coming into the system, many times you will have little to no information about the child and what you are looking at if you choose to accept that child into your care.

So I'm a little terrified by all this. And rightly so. This is probably why most normal people advice against fostering when you already have your own biological kids in the house. Trust me, I went through the classes and I know the risks. But at the same time, my heart is breaking for these kids. And as parents, with an extra room in our house and as someone who is already full time parenting, I WANT to do this and know that God has laid it on our hearts for the last several years for a reason.

It's scary not knowing exactly what you are getting yourself into, though.

When I graduated from high school (and was living in Mexico City at the time), I was given a Bible filled with notes and promises and highlighted scriptures from my missionary friends and family as a going away gift. Over the years in college I also had my new MK friends (missionary kids) write in it as well. Last night, as I was looking up some verses for a study I am doing, I found the following scripture, with the note written underneath from a dear friend of mine. Although the note was written back in 2007, I honestly don't know that I had ever read it before.
Here is the scripture in two different translations. Each one rich and meaningful.

Isaiah 33:6
He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store or salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure. (NIV)

And he will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is Zion's treasure. (ESV)

A portion of the note beneath reads:
The thing I love about the Lord, probably more than anything else, is that he is constant and stable when nothing else is. He will never leave us or forsake us. Nothing can separate us from his love. No one and nothing else in our lives can say that. Cling to Him... 

I am always amazed at God's goodness and how clearly He speaks into our lives when we are listening! (And I doubt my dear friend knew that her words would be such a sweet blessing to me years later!) Even in the midst of incredible unknown, God is always constant. He IS the stability or our times, of our every day. And He has given us His abundant treasure - salvation, wisdom, and knowledge - Himself!

When God calls us to walk in obedience, following His heart and letting the Gospel change our daily lives, we MUST go. We are compelled to. No matter how frightening it seems.

Another former missionary friend of mine said the other day that based on Romans 12:1-2, "There is nothing that God could ask me or you to do that would be unreasonable."
In view of God's character, who He is, who He has proved Himself to be throughout the Old and New Testaments, and what He has called us to in following Him, I wholeheartedly believe that my friend is right.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will." Rom. 12:1-2

Today I am thankful, and no longer so scared or anxious at what our future holds. I don't have to know all the details. And I have a good Father who is the sure foundation and stability of today and tomorrow and every day after. And no matter what happens, no matter how our lives are shaken and changed and uprooted by leaving behind our figurative nets and following this counter-cultural dude named Jesus, I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I can trust Him.

For He is constant and stable when nothing else is... No one and nothing else in our lives can say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment