Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Obeying is hard. Even for adults.

There is something to be said for stepping out in faith and walking in obedience to what God call us to - to make disciples. I have been feeling a nudging in my heart since moving into our home with this big city yard that God wants to use this place and us in this particular location. Which is why we decided to buy a house here in the first place. (more on Albany Park - our neighborhood - later) Today I was at the park with Lexi and Lyla and found myself talking with a couple of the other moms there - one Romanian, and one Burmese. As I was asking the Romanian woman some good questions (thanks to this awesome blog that our good friend writes http://aswearegoing.com/post/27916819509/want-to-get-to-know-someone?og=1) she opened up to me and started telling me how hard it is for her to be here in this country, to be alone all day with a two-year-old, and how discouraged she is in being a mom. As she went over to put her daughter in the swing, I heard God telling me so clearly "This is what I want you to do. This is why you are here. You are going to start a play group that these Moms and their kids can come to. They are hungering for community just like you are. And they need to hear the Gospel. This is what I want you to do."

Just because God speaks, doesn't mean we always obey. I actually sat there and was like, "Well, that's cool. I'll just go home and keep thinking about it." And then, believe it or not, I LEFT THE PARK.

Fortunately, God loves me a whole lot more than I deserve. Because as I was walking away, heading home, thinking that I would never see that woman and her daughter again, God told me to turn around and go back.
I stopped walking.
And here's where the story gets good.
I went back.

I walked back to the park (I had only walked one block in the other direction), swallowed my shyness and pride (yes, there was that too), and walked up to the lady and invited her to my house for a new play group that I am starting next week (yes, that was a total surprise to me too...it just came out of my mouth and now it's happening). The relief and excitement on her face was amazing. She literally said "OH MY GOD! I AM SO HAPPY YOU TOLD ME! I WILL DEFINITELY BE THERE!" And then I told her to invite her friend with her kids who had left the park a few minutes ago, and she replied, "YES YES YES! SHE WILL DEFINITELY COME TOO!"
Well what do you know?
I was there for a reason.
And sometimes, actually all the time, walking in obedience brings a lot of joy, and a lot of adventure into a person's life. Because now I am starting a neighborhood play group in my yard (thanks for that, God). And I am not just talking about it and dreaming about it anymore. It's happening. And it may just be that these women are hungry for community, hungry for meaning in life, and therefore, hungry for the Gospel.
I'm a little scared.
Extremely surprised at myself and at what just happened today (I am a total introvert, for those of you who don't know that already).
But excited.
Excited to see what God is doing here. Excited to see what his plans are for these ladies and their families.


I'm excited to see our life begin to unfold here, and our house become a beacon of Light for the Lost and Searching. We may not live in the best or most attractive neighborhood in Chicago (lets not even get into the schools here), but God has a plan for the people here. And we get to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment