Thursday, July 19, 2012

Always learning

I have learned so many things in these past three months. In case you are ever in need of my new found wisdom, I made a handy list of all the things I should have known prior to this slightly ridiculous season of life. 


Number One
A new job for the husband, birthing a new baby, terrible two's, buying a house, moving, and having your family in town at the same time (all within the same three months) is just a little too much. Crazy actually. More like completely insane. And this whole time I have been trying to be an effective wife, mom, artist, and friend. I'm sure you can imagine how well I am succeeding, given the ridiculous circumstances. Let's just say we have been eating a lot of Kraft Mac and Cheese. I know. Gross and pathetic. But necessary. 


Number Two
Moving from our apartment into our house with a Minivan, a Subaru Outback, and a little tiny car that I don't remember the name of, is not enough. Also, we moved during the hottest week of the  summer. Again, not the smartest idea. A wise woman (who is also a Crino, go figure) told me recently that one of the true signs of adulthood is hiring movers. In that case, I wish that Eric and I had become adults prior to our move. 


Number Three
Never trust a two-year-old. Scrubbing toddler poo off of the bedroom walls and crib for over two hours is not fun. Trust your adult instincts, not the toddler's. Thank goodness that happened before we moved since there was a horrific smell that I couldn't quite scrub out of those walls even days later.


Number Four
Settling into a new home with two little ones is really hard work. As in, when do I get anything done? Thankfully, unpacked boxes make good climbing for little legs.


Number Five
Painting the walls with babies. Need I say more? At least we have until forever to get the rest of the house painted. 


Number Six
After four obnoxious years, I have learned how to obtain uninterrupted sleep at night. Lock the cats in the basement. Hallelujah. 


Number Seven
Never again will a litter box disrupt the smell of my pantry. Again, basements are wonderful inventions. 


Number Eight
Never judge someone with a horrific southern accent until you get to know him. He may still sound absolutely ridiculous every time his mouth opens, but it doesn't mean he's a lame guy. He's pretty great, actually. (Good choice in a fiancee, Alli!)


Number Nine
Just because the IKEA website says they have a certain table, doesn't actually mean they have it. If we had known this, five hours of our day would not have been wasted driving to the two different IKEA stores out in the suburbs. Also, every trip I have ever made to IKEA ends with tears (those would be mine) and babies completely falling apart. Thankfully, there are cinnamon rolls and frozen yogurt at each store exit. (I'm pretty sure this is the only reason I keep going back)


Number Ten
Sitting around a table lit with candles in mason jars with my family in our own yard fills me with so much joy. My family fills me with joy period. This has been a wonderful July. Miserably hot, but fun all the same. 


Number Eleven
Being married to a man that is a dreamer and visionary is an awesome and fun adventure. Every day is something new. My life will never be boring and will always be blessed.


Number Twelve
Plants will die if you do not water them. This is a simple fact of life. Thus, most of my plants are as dead as door nails. Fried. Starved of life-giving sustenance known as H2O. Shriveled up and dead. I am hoping that gardening is something that one can grow into. Otherwise, I'm screwed.


Number Thirteen
Being the mom of a toddler who copies everything I do can be wonderful and scary at the same time. This morning I caught her looking at herself in the mirror and singing "I'm sexy and I know it." Scary. This afternoon I caught her cleaning the toilet with the toilet brush and a sponge. Awesome!


Number Fourteen
Having good friends makes all the difference in the world. 


Number Fifteen
Chocolate chips in the freezer. Delicious. Indulgent. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment