Sunday, July 11, 2010

Higher Ground

“From the ends of the earth I call to you,

I call as my heart grows faint;

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

For you have been my refuge,

A strong tower against the foe.”

Psalm 61:2-3


“My salvation and my honor depend on God;

He is my mighty rock, my refuge.

Trust in Him at all times, O people;

Pour out your hearts to him,

For God is our refuge.”

Psalm 62:7-8

If I could rename the month of July for this year, it would be “The month of bills.” I know, not terribly creative, but very literal and true for our family. With hospital bills, doctor fees, student loans, rent and utilities plus groceries all piling up this month (why it all had to come within the same two weeks, I have no idea), we are being challenged to trust God for his provision now more than ever. Even though for our entire two years of marriage God has provided for us in very tangible ways in our daily living, I tended to take it for granted that we have been able to live and eat and not be homeless. Why? Because Eric and I both worked.

Now, with a daughter, I am playing the part of a stay-at-home-mom. I love it – don’t get me wrong – but it does challenge me to rely fully on God to provide for us for a lot more now than I did before. Eric has been blessed with a lot of video projects right now, which is wonderful, and we were approved for Medicaid for Alexandria (praise the Lord!!!) but I am still struggling to see the any light at the end of our financial tunnel.

These Psalms seem to speak to my heart this morning – leading me to the Rock that is higher than I – telling me to trust my Savior and Creator at ALL times – and calling me to pour out my heart to Him. For He has been our refuge. He is our refuge. And He will continue to be our refuge. It amazes me that we are but a blip of existence in this incredible universe that God has created, and yet He loves and cares for us infinitely more than all that we could ask for or imagine. And so all of our needs, of whatever nature (whether it be a struggling relationship, a financial burden, emotional unrest, health, etc.) are important to God. And He WANTS to care for us. But I must give Him the freedom and the trust for Him to be able to do so. And if we live in this freedom, I believe we will be able to experience His blessings with more joy and thanksgiving in the knowledge that God will provide as He has provided and is providing even now.

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

1 comment: