Friday, September 21, 2012

A place of my own

A wise friend once told me that she refuses to do any housework while her kids take their afternoon naps. Instead, she lays on the couch and eats candy while reading a book. Or goes into her sewing studio and creates. And believe me when I say this lady can SEW. In the 3-5 years she has been sewing, she has made more girls clothes and other adorable useful items than I can hope to make in two lifetimes. Also her fabric selection is out of this world. Hands down awesome.

Anyway, the point is that when she first told me this, I thought she was out of her mind. During Lexi's babyhood, her short little 30 minute snoozes were my time to get stuff DONE. Dishes, laundry, sweeping, mopping, bathrooms, cooking, you name it. The problem was, once she was awake, I was ready for a nap. And never had time to do anything that I loved that couldn't be done while holding a squirmy baby.

Once I became pregnant with Lyla, I couldn't survive the day without a nap. So I napped when Lexi did. Now that Lyla is born and is on a predictable sleeping schedule, and I am way out of survival mode, naps for me aren't as important as they used to be. Most days now I can survive without one (depending on how often I had to get up the night before with both kids of course....silly kids...).

The important thing is, I took my friend's crazy wisdom and put it into practice. And I agree with her wholeheartedly on the situation! Kids nap time is MY time. Housework can be done while the kids are awake. Which trains Lexi in the process anyway. ME time is crucial. It is my time to do whatever I want (aka NOT the dishes). Be it create, paint, sew, quiet time, read, watch Netflix, sleep, eat chocolate, bake, sit on my porch, write, etc. In all the crazy of helping and serving and training and caring for everyone else, it is a spot in my day where I can just be me.

Sometimes (like today), I do have to use some of this precious time to make important phone calls like to the insurance company (HATE) or to make doctor appointments and such (so fun). But the real point is, I am not a slave to my house. Meaning...it doesn't have to be perfectly clean all the time. And the work can and will get done eventually. But for now, I will happily take this space and be myself in it.

1 comment:

  1. I like this. Admittedly, I try to do a couple of things I have to do and then something that I want to do too, but that's only because I have an over developed guilt complex and I enjoy my Me time more when the floor has been mopped and the laundry folded. :P

    ReplyDelete