Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Wednesday in the Mind of Bethany

Spring is made sweeter when it arrives after such a long winter. The sun is so welcome on my face today. Not on Lexi's though. She kept squealing until I pulled the shade of her stroller down.

Sometimes I wish I could blog in pictures instead of words, with all of my thoughts coming out of my head in speech bubbles. This could have something to do with my love for graphic novels, or just the fact that I am in the middle of Craig Thompson's Carnet de Voyage and pretty much I am completely in love. You might think that adults reading comics is a little immature, but if you think that, then clearly you have never read a real graphic novel before. Read Blankets, also by Craig Thompson (can you tell I'm a fan?) and it will change your life. Just don't read it if you are under 18, due to adult content (aka...lovely sisters, stick to the Sunday comics...).

Living in an apartment isn't so bad, especially when I discovered today at the park that Lexi can crawl up stairs. Who knew?! Unfortunately, her version of crawling down the stairs is much simpler: crawl to the edge and let gravity do the rest.

There is a homeless man who lives in our neighborhood and sets up a permanent camp under one of the bridges along our walking trail during the winter months. On cold days, when I have been brave enough to take a walk, I will see him under there with a friend, sitting in chairs around a warm little fire. On warm, sunny spring days like today, I always think about him, and wonder if he opens his eyes in the morning and is happy simply because he know he won't be cold today.

I had a lot of misgivings and preconceptions about our church's small groups, called Gospel Communities, which kept Eric and I from joining one for the past several months. We finally decided that it was a step that we simply needed to take, and we have both been pleasantly surprised. I am challenged by the faith of the people in this group, who are truly being serious about walking with God and what that looks like in an ordinary life. I am realizing more and more that being a person who loves God with all he/she is has very little to do with reading the Bible and spending tons of time in traditional forms of prayer. While reading the Bible to know the truth and to know the character of God is essential, I think that Evangelical Christians have pushed the traditional view of "if you don't have a quiet time with the Lord every day then you are not walking with him/or your relationship is not in a good place" way too hard. I don't think that this is true at all. However, that is not to say that you shouldn't ever read the Bible. After all, Jesus knew the scriptures and could spot the Truth from a lie, which is essential to walking with God and living a righteous life. He also spent a lot of time in prayer, adjusting his heart to be in line with God's. But mostly, He simply lived in community with others - spending his life in close relationship with others. Because that's where true life happens. In community with others.(and I'm not talking about a once a week Sunday service here...I am talking about being in daily relationships with people - being involved and intertwined in the lives of others.)
The point of me saying this is in no way to try to convince you that I am right, (and there is no conclusion here, just thoughts) it's just something that Eric and I have been wrestling with lately and I think I am finally coming to peace with it. The way I live out my faith is very different from the normal labeled Christian, and I am finally beginning to understand that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I made some awesome enchiladas (courtesy of Rick Bayless, check him out) for a dinner party I hosted here Monday night, but have been so bothered by the fact that they were barely spicy... Two days later, I keep having the impulse to call all the invited ladies up personally and apologize for the lack of spice. The funny thing is, if it had been any more spicy, I may have been the only one eating it. Thanks, Mexico, for destroying my perspective on the definition of flavor.

Speaking of Mexico, incredibly enough, I found a round-trip ticket to said country for under 300 dollars, which is kind of unheard of, so I bought it on the spot. Lexi and I are taking a little "working vacation" to Mexico City to be with my family and help out during the recovery of one of my family members who will be having a medical procedure done at the end of this month. Needless to say, Grandparents and young aunties are rather excited to see a certain someone....(who is, in fact, not me....), and I am hoping that Lexi's presence will bring some extra healing and cheer (along with the food that I will be cooking).

I saw some leaf buds about to burst open on the branches of a tree today. I love everything about this season. There is so much hope in new life. And so much joy.

I watched the movie "It's kind of a Funny Story" this past weekend, about a boy who checks himself into the hospital for being depressed and suicidal. He spends a week in the mental ward, discovering himself (starts expressing himself through making art), finding healing, and building meaningful relationships with the other patients. Art prevails. I am in love.

And don't be envious of the inner workings of my mind. I haven't even touched on what goes on in there while I'm sleeping. Don't worry. I will spare you. And it's not even 3 o'clock yet.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all you share....sharing your heart. We are so looking forward to having you all here for a few days and doing a bit of that sharing in person. Love you so much!
    Hugs and prayers,
    Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete