Monday, March 21, 2011

Mushy Brain and Burned Apples

So I'm sitting on the couch, hanging out on Facebook and enjoying some down time while Lexi naps, when I smell something burning. Our windows are open, due to the warm weather today, so I think about the fact that our neighbors are probably making grilled cheese sandwiches and left one on the pan too long. Or the Barbeque place next door's smoke house went a little awry. In any case, I wasn't cooking anything so there was nothing to worry about.

I continued to casually peruse the internet, write a few emails, check up on a few friends. The burning smell is now much more pronounced. Not to worry, I tell myself, as I look at pictures of my friend's new baby. Smoke begins filling the apartment. Hmmm.... Maybe Eric is burning some toast? He looks too innocent, though, as he sits at his desk working (with headphones on). Then I realize that the view to my kitchen has been reasonably made blurry by smoke, stirring me from my perch on the couch to just check and make sure that it definitely is NOT our apartment that is on fire.

I know I'm not cooking anything, but I go into the kitchen anyway, thinking maybe I left a burner on from lunch or something.

And there on the stove is my pot of apples, burning to a charred crisp in their pot underneath a high blue flame. Oh yeah........ I was making applesauce for Alexandria....

Earth to Bethany.... Now that my apples are black and my apartment is filled with stinky burning apples smoke. I know I'm an idiot, so no need to laugh. The bad thing is that I've been doing this for the past year....starting something and then walking away and forgetting about it COMPLETELY. I blame the fact that I was pregnant, but Lexi was born TEN MONTHS AGO! Isn't my brain supposed to work correctly by now?

That firetruck that I hear on Foster Avenue is probably coming to my house, signaled by all the smoke. Hopefully the ceiling fan will do the trick.

On the upside, maybe I can start a Smoked Applesauce trend in the baby food department. Alexandria seems to think it's pretty great. But then again, she does eat spinach in her oatmeal for breakfast. And likes it.


1 comment:

  1. They say you don't get your brain back until the kids move out for college. And then you have a few good years before Alzheimer's sets in. I don't know whether to be comforted or worried by that thought.

    ReplyDelete