Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What if

What if
several families
with one vision
lived together
under the same roof
as one family
loving God
loving each other
and loving their neighbors as themselves.

What if
they lived intentionally
loved intentionally
served the community intentionally together
loving God as more than a belief system
but as a living breathing Love
that reaches out to people in need
people in need of this Love
the Love that longs to restore the universe
to itself.

What if
there is more to "loving God"
than going to church on Sunday
Women's coffee on Monday
Small group on Tuesday
and being consumed in our individual lives
for the remainder of the week.
I would be a nice person
regardless of whether I believed in God or not.
My life looks no different
than any other "nice" young woman
who likes having good relationships with others.
So if I truly love this God that I claim to serve
why am I not doing anything?
Why does my life not look any different?

If I claim to really be a Christ follower
laying down my life for Christ's sake
than I am a lier.
I am not caring for the widows and the orphans
clothing the least of these
or feeding the hungry.
I have been too comfortable
in my dreams of the future
in my familiar circle of friends
the warmth of my own home
my individual wants
and needs
me
me
Me.

And Jesus is calling my family
out of this comfort
out of complacency
out of our familiar circle of friends
to a live a life that is not lived in vain
in the individual pursuit
of worldly possessions
or gain
or success
or fame
or even comfort.

It is a life of intentional living
intentional community
intentional loving
intentional serving.

Living in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ
in response
to that same Gospel
that same Love
that is transforming our hearts
restoring our souls
shaping our lives.

What if
Christianity
is not about our personal comfort
our personal pursuit of God
our personal sins
and personal issues
and personal dreams and visions?

What if
Christianity
is actually meant to be
lived out together
as a collective pursuit of God
a community vision
with a collective outflow
of this Love
into service?

What if Jesus never intended
for us to be so concerned
with our individual faith
and individual struggles
and individual victories
that we lose sight
of who Christ really is
and His heart for the people around us?

What if Jesus wasn't so much concerned
if we read the Bible that morning or not
but was more concerned
that our neighbor is hurting
and is desperate for the Love
that we are so selfishly
hoarding
for ourselves
for our individual emotions
for the feel good high
that we have been taught is appropriate
and right
and Christian.

I think there is more to being a Christ follower.
I think Christ is calling us to a higher standard
to a radical way of life
to a radical way of Love.
And I think if more people
lived in direct response to this calling
our world
would be different.

I don't know all the answers,
but I know that this crazy God
who is this crazy Love
has ignited a fire within me
and within Eric
that won't be put out
until our lives
are radically different...

...until Jesus really is
our Everything.

3 comments:

  1. looking forward to hearing the rest of this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to talk to my friend Katelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father, open our eyes...........Let us see how to truly be your followers.........Show us, and let us follow.

    ReplyDelete