Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful...

Having a car has been quite an adventure today.

Today I am thankful for anti-lock brakes, which saved me from sliding through a slippery intersection on Kimball.

I am also thankful for a car that definitely locks when you push the lock button and then shut all the doors...whether or not you accidentally left the keys in the car. I apparently have impeccable timing, given that this happened at 2 pm and "Blizzard 2011" (yes, they went so far as to name it) is currently roaring outside our windows at 4 pm. I also had Lexi with me, who was thankfully out of the car and in my arms in the roaring wind and snow when I shut the car door and then turned as pale as a ghost as my heart stopped in realization of what I had just done. After checking my pockets a zillion times, knowing it was completely futile, I ran with Lexi to the warmth of the grocery store and called Eric with the less than wonderful news.

So I am thankful for Luc, who, fifteen minutes later, found (a slightly embarrassed) me waiting in the incredibly backed up check out line (you would think the Apocalypse is coming with how crazy everyone is acting!) and handed me Eric's set of keys (which I am also thankful for, by the way) and reminded me that it happens to the best of us.

I am thankful that I made it home safely (thanks to our all-wheel drive vehicle and those handy dandy brakes), found a relatively close parking spot, and with our neighbors' Pete and Rachael's help got the milk and produce and Lexi inside just as the wind and snow really began to pick up.

And now I am thankful for our cozy apartment, my happy little family, and our wonderful friends who make living here so great. And as Eric reminded me this afternoon, at least I didn't lock the keys in the car while being the first in line for the Ferry in Washington!....(yes, Staswicks, you know exactly what I am talking about...).

So bring on the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment