Wednesday, January 12, 2011

No Resolutions



I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions this year.
I'm not going to attempt to lose weight (I like my current wardrobe), probably not going to work out until the weather gets warmer again (I have a passionate dislike for working out indoors), I already eat healthy (minus all the chocolate), my marriage doesn't need fixing (Eric's a pretty awesome guy), I'm not going to resolve to be a better mom (better let that one just grow with some time), I'm not going to make a resolution to read my Bible more (guilt does not equal true spirituality) and I'm not going to stop watching Glee (because WHY would I do that???!!!).

You may think that I am lazy and non-committal, but really, just because it's a new year doesn't make it any easier to change or be someone different that who you are. I am definitely not saying that people shouldn't make goals and exercise more and better ourselves throughout our lives (God knows America is a fat lard who never needed to know the existence of donuts). What I am saying is that these life altering changes should come from the heart - from a true desire to change - not just because all of the sudden it's the first of the New Year and you need to make some Resolutions because all your friends made some (and very few will even hold out through the end of the month anyway).

Maybe I'm just cynical because my Resolutions in the past have never held out longer than 3 hours. Or maybe I'm like Calvin in Calvin & Hobbes and just think about it too hard. Because really, values are completely relative.

1 comment: