Saturday, August 28, 2010

Confessions of a Sunny Saturday

A beautiful Saturday such as today is perfect for lounging on the Green Space (the area of lush green grass, trees and shrubbery on the NPU campus - which happens to be across the street from our apartment), munching on double chocolate cookies, reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, baking crusty delicious artisan bread, and hanging out with the little girl - listening to her endless stream of babble...

This day also lends itself to certain confessions which I feel compelled to disclose. Partly because this lovely cool weather may have messed with my head, and partly because I always try to be as honest with myself as possible.

So here it goes.

Confession #1: I baked Triple Threat Chocolate Chip cookies the other night, burned half of them, and then served them to my friends at our Taco night. I also only allowed each person two cookies. Much to my chagrin, Dan consumed five and Eric M. had four. Looking in the container the next morning, I noticed that all the burned cookies remained and all the non-burned ones had been eaten. I guess it serves me right for being selfish.
Also, the recipe was supposed to make 2 1/2 dozen cookies and made barely 2 dozen. This might have something to do with the fact that the batter was WAY better than the actual cookie. Maybe that should be confession #2.

Confession #3: I love pizza. That saying, I make pizza at least once a week. At least once. To give myself some credit, though, my crust is whole wheat and the pizza rarely, if ever, has meat on it. Mostly just veggies and cheese. By the way, next time you make pizza, make half of your cheese PepperJack for a nice zesty kick!

Confession #4: Sometimes when Alexandria wakes up from a nap, I leave her in her crib just a little longer so I can get something done. I'm sure I'm not the only mom out there that sees nothing wrong with letting the babe cry a bit....(I hope)

Confession #5: Speaking of Alexandria, whenever I change a poopy diaper, it magically gets all over her body, clothes, me, and anything else that's nearby. I don't have any clue as to how this happens. It is one of those phenomenons that offers no explanation but always occurs without exception. That being said, I am glad (for my laundry pile's sake) that my daughter chooses to only poop once a week.

Confession #6: You know those church services where the speaker makes everyone close their eyes and then asks people to raise their hands if you are "this-and-this" and so on?
I peek.

Confession #7: I let Alexandria watch Glee. As dumb as the show is, I simply can't get away from it.

Confession #8: I read cookbooks like they are the latest mystery novel. I love them. Especially the ones with gorgeous pictures that I can guess at the ingredients and then cook my own version.

Confession #9: Speaking of cookbooks, I just bought a new one and when it arrived in the mail I danced around like the time my parents told me I could get a puppy (That was before we knew she was a demon dog, obviously). It is all about baking glorious Artisan bread the easiest way possible by mixing up a huge batch of dough (which takes like 7 mins) and storing it in the fridge for up to two weeks! Anytime you want fresh bread, you just cut off a hunk of dough, let it rise for 40 mins on the counter, and then pop it in the oven! My first loaf, a round crusty Boule, is about to go in the oven as I type this. I bake so much homemade bread as it is that I thought I might give this a try - especially since it cuts so much time out of the preparation process.

Confession #10: In a previous post, I misspelled "faux hawk" and was reprimanded for it by an avid faux hawk wearer. As an apology and to make up for my spelling blunder, I thought that I would pay tribute to the faux hawk by putting up pictures of my favorite faux hawk wearers.

Here is Lucas, the center man, proudly showing off his faux-hawked head.

And here is Alexandria, who loves to impress Luc, proving that even girls can have faux hawks if done tastefully.

2 comments:

  1. first off, so sad that my Alex's faux hawk didn't make it past 4 months. Maybe it'll arrive once more... I can hope. After that, I love this post. And you. And I have personally committed #4 and #7. Don't tell Josh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. jajaja me hiciste reir demaciado con esta entrada. Gracias por poner una sonrisa en mi cara despues de muchos dias dificiles en el barrio...te amo un chorro de agua dulce del rio mas fresco que conozco. Bendiciones, Bethers.

    ReplyDelete