Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Yes, we are still alive! A short December update...

I am amazing even myself for being on here and typing a few lines. Here is what is happening this morning. I am sitting on the couch in my pajama pants while my four girls take out every toy in the house and free play the morning away. I even finished a book while they played around me (with the occasional screaming match followed by several swift time outs). It's going to take hours to clean up, but hey. They are happy.

The switch from two kids to four has been drastic. My daily routines and systems were thrown out the window and had to be rewritten and revamped entirely to incorporate four kids under four respectively. The good news is that I think we finally got through the hardest adjustment phase and are now more settled in month #2. Which means that maybe I will actually take my camera out of its case one of these days. The unfortunate part is that I'm not really supposed to post any pictures of my foster daughters, which makes it difficult for documenting life since they are are intricate part of it. And they love having their pictures taken. But now that the chaos is becoming more ordered to an extent, maybe I will even get a little more creative in my picture taking! But let's save that for another day. Give me a pat on the back for at least writing a little.

BIG NEWS in the Staswick home: We bought a mini van! I grieve every time all four car seats are buckled and I make my wide turns on narrow city streets, but we couldn't do without it. So I am thankful that I am no longer house bound (although that's where we are most days), and we can actually go places as a family again. Like to Missouri! Which we did over Thanksgiving. We did the crazy unthinkable and loaded four girls under the age of four into a van and drove for eight hours to MO and then back again for the Thanksgiving festivities with Eric's family. Very thankful for our van's built in DVD system. You have no idea.The whining and crying and car seat jesting turned out to be so worth it for the time we spent with family. It was a huge blessing to have our girls loved on by our family while I basically sat on the couch for three days and watched. No joke. It was dreamy. I literally did nothing. Oh, the fantasies of motherhood!

We arrived home late Saturday night and then spent all Sunday morning cooking and preparing the house for what may have been the best Thanksgiving yet. Eric and I had the privilege of hosting our foster daughters' other numerous siblings and their Mom over to our home to share our table and give thanks together. Our table has never been so full and beautiful before. It was hard, beautiful, broken, and so moving all at the same time to be a part of this family's story. And even though the circumstances are grievous, I am so thankful to be right in the middle of it, willing to serve with my whole heart where I have been given opportunity.

Eric, in turn, had the best birthday ever. And I couldn't be more thankful to be walking alongside such a man of integrity and love for the outcast, the broken, the displaced.

May our home ever be a place of blessing and thanksgiving. Where the broken are welcomed, and where you are always loved, no matter the torn, patched up story you carry with you. A place where Jesus dwells and all hands are spread open in thanks, even when the gifts are often hard to accept. Today I am thankful for little girl voices squealing, toys carpeting every surface of walking space, windows of rest in the crazy, and the miracle of joy that comes with accepting, receiving, and in the giving of thanks to our Father of so many good gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment