Thursday, August 8, 2013

Holy Mole Guacamole!

 I hear an excited shriek and then footsteps running toward the door. In bursts Lexi, just as I am toweling my hair dry. "MOM!!! GUACAMOLE CAME OUT!!! HE CAME OUT AND NOW HE'S A BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLY!!!!YOU HAVE TO COME SEE HIM!!!!"
I am excited, but all I can help thinking is, 
Why on earth does every extraordinary event take place the moment I step out of the shower? 
I run to the bedroom (again), throw on some clothes and join the others in the kitchen, hovering over the large jar that has been guacamole's home for the last two weeks.
And there he is. Miracle.





This afternoon, once his wings were fully spread and dried out, we took Guacamole out into the garden to let him go. 

 I was hoping to catch pictures of him flitting around among the plants, but he had his own ideas. Born new as an entirely different creature, he fluttered his wings, once, twice, and flew high. Over the electric lines, on the currents of the breeze, he flew out of sight, and into the wild of the city.
 Sad to see him go, but always curious, we took a close look at the shell of his old body. The body that turned shell and became the haven where the miracle took place.

Lexi, always the one for dramatics, spent at least five minutes running through the yard waving at the sky and hollering at the top of her lungs, "BYE GUACAMOLE!!! I HOPE YOU FIND YOUR FATHER!!!"

What a goof ball. I guess Finding Nemo has been quite the inspiration. I'm just hoping he won't come fluttering back into our yard to be consumed by our fat chickens. Then we'll have to start singing Lion King's Circle of Life. ;-)
Safe Journey, Guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment