Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A little chalkboard paint and some imagination

Being homeowners is a blessing and a curse. There are probably more reasons for it being a curse than a blessing (like the fact that when things fall apart, you are responsible to fix it...and pay for it...). But one of the few blessings of home ownership is that you can do whatever you want with your house and appliances. One of our long term  plans (very long term...like when we are millionaires long term) is to completely gut and redo our kitchen. Our house was built in 1914, and believe me when I say that there hasn't been a whole lot of updating in the past 98 years. It is in great shape, but it's just really dated. (If you still don't believe me, you can stick your head in our basement and see the antique stove and ancient refrigerator that was left with the house. Or you can walk in our bathroom and soak in the lovely bubble gum pink tiles and teal bathroom appliances.)

So here we are, with old ugly appliances in the kitchen, a horrid linoleum floor, cupboards that are WAY too high for me to reach, let alone put anything in them (I am slightly vertically challenged as it is), and zero counter space. Like, NONE. 

I tried really hard not to complain, but even though I tried to keep it to myself, I must have been groaning audibly (ok, I admit it. I was complaining), because for Christmas this year, my husband - my prince, told me that we were going to spend some money to fix up our kitchen for the short term!!! So, we went out and bought some cupboards and a counter top, painted two of the walls a nice bright white (as opposed to the nasty tan that has been on the walls for who knows how long) to compliment the one grey wall, and painted our dated yellow refrigerator with chalkboard paint. The kitchen as a whole is still in progress, still needs some more paint and new curtains (just got the fabric in the mail yesterday!), but here is my kitchen in the works (since I know you want to see it).

 Our chalkboard fridge! So much cheaper than buying a whole new one to match the kitchen, we painted it with a magnetic primer, and then applied two coats of chalkboard paint to the entire exterior. BEST. DECISION. EVER!!!! I spend so many hours in the kitchen with the kids and the fridge has just become the most amazing creative outlet that we can all enjoy together. Perks of owning old crappy appliances that still work, but look hideous. Give them makeovers! :)


 The chalk erases as easy as any real chalkboard surface does too. We love it. And we love the fact that everyone who comes over to our house (which is kind of a lot of people) is welcome to draw on it as well.


Here is the entryway from the hallway into the kitchen. New counter top on the right (**gasp** is that a Vitamix blender? Yes, yes it is. And we LOVE IT.) Stove and sink are hidden, but are to the left. Breakfast table is on the left in front of the window. I love this space. It is so bright and big. 


 My man is awesome. Also, if you know me, you know that I am kind of obsessed with my pot racks. Definitely my favorite part of the last three kitchens that have been a part of my married life. Can't live without them. I actually am trying an herb wall on the left there, with the hanging pots. All my herbs are currently all dead. No surprise there. Maybe I should have made a new year's goal that involved keeping at least one plant alive...


My stove and old farm sink (which is actually pretty cool). Those top cupboards will be getting a white makeover soon. Also please notice that my kitchen is not perfect, and guess what? It's messy. Real life, folks. This is what a kitchen looks like with two little kids and no dishwasher. Lots of dirty dishes all the time. At first this really bothered me, and I spent so much time getting frustrated and washing dishes just to keep up. But I am learning that life is not all about having the picture perfect house, and while I do pretty well at getting everything in its place at the end of the day, the dishes sometimes have to wait. Mostly so I can spend more time hanging out with this little cutie, who looks very much like her dad (minus the crazy ears...those are definitely mine. ;)



 And just to really prove to you how normal we are, here is what our fridge normally looks like. I like it better this way anyhow. ;)


I will have to do an update once the painting is done and the curtains are sewn. The curtain fabric is grey and white chevron. I am really excited. And I am even more excited that these crazy mint green tiles somehow look better now than they did before. I even got a compliment on them last night! (I laughed...lol)

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, I LOVE the chalkboard fridge and your new counter/cabinet piece! This makes me want to send you a photo of my current kitchen--you are one lucky girl! :)
    floral&fudge

    ReplyDelete