Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The importance of not being alone

I was reminded this weekend of just how important friends are - especially during difficult or transitional periods in life. During a visit with one of my art professors, who came over to meet Alexandria, she asked me if I had found ways to take care of myself so as not to become entirely absorbed by baby and all that she entails. As I answered her question, I realized that I have been completely and utterly absorbed with my baby - which is necessary at the beginning, but can lead to rather disastrous ends. I was becoming unhappy, impatient and ready to quit the whole mom thing. I love my baby desperately, but it wasn't until Kelly said something to me about it that I realized I really needed to start doing things for myself again. Painting. Baking. Being outside. Laughing with good friends. Pleasure reading. All the things that I enjoy and have not been able to do or have been putting off need to start happening again. And while I still strive to be a somewhat unselfish mom - where Alexandria comes first - I find that in order to keep my sanity, selfishness must prevail every once in a while! (and that is entirely ok!)

Two of my best friends came over on Saturday for our weekly fellowship/prayer time. My heart has been so burdened with so many things lately, and I found such a release in spending time with them. My burden had gotten too heavy for me to carry, and being able to simply talk about what was on my heart seemed to lift it entirely. It was as if in my sharing, each of the girls came over and lifted a portion of the burden off of my heart - offering to help me carry it to the Lord in prayer. And they did. I was talking with Eric about it that evening and he said (quite matter-of-fact) "Well, that's the church life. That's what is supposed to happen."
I find it interesting that while I grew up in the church life in a house church model, I have not really experienced the Body life personally until now. It is a rich and incredibly humbling experience. One where you have to be completely vulnerable and laid bare as an offering to Lord and in your fellowship with one another in order to find healing and learn what is on God's heart. I have been daily experiencing this vulnerability through observing and caring for Alexandria - who has no choice but to come to me with absolutely nothing to receive nourishment that is life giving. How true this is for us in our Christian walks! We must come to Jesus daily as little children - completely vulnerable, empty, yearning - relying entirely on Him for our life nourishment and fulfillment. Such an easy truth, yet so hard for us adults to put into action!
Lord, may we come to you today as infants craving their mother's milk - and teach us to serve and love each other as the Body of Christ is called to do!

1 comment:

  1. Amen.......let it be so in my life, Lord.
    Thanks Beth for sharing so openly. I can learn much from you. Hugs,
    Mom
    PS A good and safe trip to CA. Good to be home again, tho.

    ReplyDelete