Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Weekend in the Woods, Part 3

The last morning we were at Apple River Canyon, we woke up COLD. Eric and Lexi bundled up and went on an early morning fishing trip while the rest of us fixed omelets over the fire and tried to get warm (tin foil is AMAZING when cooking over an open fire, btw, and I have to include what we ate just because I LOVE cooking while camping and we continued eating a real foods diet with the exception of a few granola bars (that contained some processed oils). No hot dogs in sight. Amen.)
 Abbie is kind of in love with my oven mitts.
 Can you guess who isn't a morning person? lol. Actually it was me, but I decided to take it out on everyone by taking morning pictures of them, while I hid behind the lens. hahaha
 She wasn't too thrilled with the cold.



 The sun came up and turned this tree into a blaze of glory.

 I looked over at the tent and caught Lyla doing this. She stayed there for a while without moving. I think she was just a little tired.

 My favorite season.
 Last hike of the weekend. I ended up putting the camera away for most of it, given that we crossed the river balancing on stones at the bottom of a steep uphill hike. And since I had already taken a billion pictures anyway. You are just looking a small smattering and holy moly, there are three posts of them!

Group shot before we left the campground and drove the 2 1/2 hours back home.




 These kids had a blast.

 Best camping trip I've had in a long time. No one fell in any fires, got sick, or sat on cactuses (you can ask my brother about that one). We just had a lot of fun being together and being outside. Thankful.

Now it's back to yard work on the weekends and getting ready to hunker down for winter. But I think we will be going camping a lot more often now that we are sans newborns. Camping plans start again in the spring! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment