Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankful


In the spirit of Thanksgiving season, everyone has been talking about being thankful, counting your blessings, and even going the route of counting down on Fb the days until Thanksgiving with things they are thankful for.

I have many things to be thankful for, but often times, choose to not be thankful. Or to dwell on the things that are not going as planned or just feel downright bad. Being thankful is a choice. One that we often may take for granted in our rush of daily life.

But this morning, in spite of being up most of the night for numerous reasons (two little girl reasons, to be specific, among other things), and then struggling to get out the door this morning with four very tired people involved, I found myself choosing to be thankful.

Thankful for my family, as crazy and ridiculous as this particular season in life is.

I am thankful that my girls give me reasons to laugh every day, and sometimes to cry too. In being a part of their very small lives, I am catching glimpses of heaven every day, and am constantly reminded of how incredibly DEEP and unchanging our Father's love is for us.

Thankful for my husband, even when our relationship isn't perfect. We wouldn't be human if we didn't always have some growing to do. And I am thankful we can grow in this together. And that we daily CHOOSE to grow in this together.

I am thankful for my God. Who loves His fallen creation so desperately, that He went so far as to send His own Son to die, in order that our Oneness with our Creator might again be restored.

Thankful for friends to earnestly seek the Lord with, to LOVE Jesus together as we walk through life, to be on mission with, to laugh with.

I am thankful for friends who's hearts are being drawn towards Jesus, and the hope of new Life where there has previously been none.

I am thankful to be called into authentic discipleship. I am thankful that God is redeeming me, making me new, and has called me to love my own life so much LESS than I love my Father.

I am thankful that we are uncomfortable, for it only makes the desire to know and be filled with Christ so much more intense.

I am thankful for new beginnings.
I am thankful for being hopeful.
Thankful that I am alive.
That my spirit is alive.

I am thankful that God is at work here, making all things new in this City, in this world. And I am thankful beyond words that He is at work redeeming us, and is ever calling us to join Him in His renewal here.

So today, choose to be thankful, and as the words of the prophet Hosea say,


Sow righteousness for yourselves,
    reap the fruit of unfailing love,

and break up your unplowed ground;
    for it is time to seek the Lord,
until he comes
    and showers his righteousness on you.

Hosea 10:12




2 comments: