Thursday, October 6, 2011

Out of the Chaos

In 1997, my family moved to a tiny little town of 700 people in a rural farming community in northern Illinois. We lived in Capron for 5 years (the population is now up to 1,000 by the way), ending our country life by moving to San Jose, Costa Rica in 2002. And then we proceeded to move to Mexico City, Mexico the following year. In 2005, I moved to yet another big city, Chicago, to attend college. Six years later, in 2011, I am still in the city, and seeing no signs of leaving anytime soon.

Trips out to the country are welcome and necessary for a little soul cleansing and refreshment. It is such a delight to look outside and be able to see for miles...to breathe clean, fresh air and smell the grass and plants and hear the trees sing and dance in the wind.... The colors are so much more vibrant out here. Everything feels more alive. At peace with the world.

This past weekend, Eric and Lexi and made the long drive out to that same farming community that I lived that happy wonderful part of my life in. We spent most of the day at Edward's Apple Orchard in Poplar Grove, my family's favorite place to go to every fall. We drank hot cider, ate warm fresh apple cider donuts, ate crunchy sweet apples, and picked a pumpkin for Lexi off the vine.

Old memories, mixed with new ones.

At ten years old, when my family first moved here, I would never have guessed that fourteen years later I would bring my daughter here. That coming here would be such a delight after so much time in so many busy cities.
Pumpkins and corn!

Lexi is obviously a pro at this. Eric could use a little help though...

Good thing goats don't like little baby fingers!


Taking a "ride" on the Edward's train express.

Queen of the pumpkin patch, obviously.

Happily guzzling all of my cider.


On our way home, we stopped at my sweet old home on Wooster street, in the sleepy, decaying town of Capron. So many happy days were spent in this old house. I still miss it sometimes. So much has changed since then. Life has become much more bittersweet. More complicated and messy. But still beautiful in it's own way.


1 comment:

  1. Apple cider donuts are some of my favourites. I should find a recipe for that... If I did, would you then bring Lexi and Eric and come visit us? Altus is VERY country. Haha. Just not really the pretty kind...

    ReplyDelete